Saturday, January 12, 2013

NuWho - Series 4b, Episode 16 - The Waters of Mars (Season 30, Story 201)

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"You are under arrest for trespassing. Gadget gadget." ~ Gadget

Adelaide: State your name, rank, and intention.
The 10th Doctor: The Doctor. Doctor. Fun.

"Actually, chat's second on my list, the first being gun pointed at my head. Which then puts my head second and chat third, I think. Gun, head, chat, yeah. I hate lists. But you could hurt someone with that thing. Just put it down." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"I hate funny robots." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"You're the first? The very first humans on Mars? Then this is Bowie Base One.  Number one. Founded July 1st, 2058. Established Bowie Base One in the Gusev Crater. You've been here how long?" ~ The Tenth Doctor

"I should go. I really should go. I'm sorry. I'm sorry with all of my hearts, but it's one of those very rare times when I've got no choice. It's been an honour. Seriously, a very great honour to meet you all. The Martian pioneers." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Yeah, I'm sorry. Er, I'd love to help, but I'm leaving right now." ~ The Tenth Doctor

Roman: Yeah. Friend of mine, she made her domestic robot look like a dog.
The 10th Doctor: Ah well, dogs. That's different.

"It's been chaos back home. Forty long years. The climate, the ozone, the oil apocalypse. We almost reached extinction. Then to fly above that, to stand on a world with no smoke, where the only straight line is the sunlight? Yes. It's worth it." ~ Captain Adelaide Brooke

"Ah. That's the Adelaide Brooke I always wanted to meet. The woman with starlight in her soul." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"I don't know. Sounds like me. The maintenance man of the universe." ~ The Tenth Doctor

The 10th Doctor: Blimey, it's a distance. You could do with bikes in this place.
Adelaide: Every pound in weight equals three tons of fuel.
The 10th Doctor: Yeah, I know. But bikes.

"Right. I should leave. Finally, I should leave. Yuri, me old mate, no point in me seeing the ice field. No point at all. No. Adelaide!" ~ The Tenth Doctor

"They tell legends of Mars from long ago, of a fine and noble race who built an empire out of snow. The Ice Warriors. Perhaps they found something down there. Used their might and their wisdom to freeze it." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"This moment, this precise moment in time, it's like. I mean, it's only a theory, what do I know, but I think certain moments in time are fixed. Tiny, precious moments. Everything else is in flux, anything can happen, but those certain moments, they have to stand. This base on Mars with you, Adelaide Brooke, this is one vital moment. What happens here must always happen." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"You told your daughter. And maybe one day she tells the story to her daughter. The day the Earth was stolen and moved across the universe. And you..." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Imagine it, Adelaide, if you began a journey that takes the human race all the way out to the stars. It begins with you, and then your granddaughter, you inspire her, so that in thirty years Susie Fontana Brooke is the pilot of the first lightspeed ship to Proxima Centauri. And then everywhere, with her children, and her children's children forging the way. To the Dragon Star, the Celestial Belt of the Winter Queen, the Map of the Watersnake Wormholes. One day a Brooke will even fall in love with a Tandonian prince, that's the start of a whole new species. But everything starts with you, Adelaide. From fifty years ago to right here, today. Imagine." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Except you won't. You could have shot Andy Stone, but you didn't.  I loved you for that. Imagine, imagine you knew something. Imagine you found yourself somewhere. I don't know, Pompeii. Imagine you were in Pompeii. And you tried to save them. But in doing so, you make it happen. Anything I do just makes it happen." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"You're taking Action One. There are four more standard action procedures. And Action Five is? The final option. The nuclear device at the heart of the Central Dome. Today, on the twenty first of November 2059, Captain Brooke activates that device, taking the base and all her crew members with her. No one ever knows why. But you were saving Earth. That's what inspires your granddaughter. She takes your people out into the galaxy because you die on Mars. You die today. She flies out there like she's trying to meet you." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"I'm not just a Time Lord, I'm the Last of the Time Lords. They'll never come back. Not now. I've got a Tardis. Same old life, last of the Time Lords. And they died and took it all with them. The walls of reality closed, the worlds were sealed, gone for ever. The Time Lords kept their eye on everything. It's gone now. But they died, the Time Lords! All of them, they died. I'm the last of the Time Lords." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Yes, because there are laws. There are Laws of Time. Once upon a time there were people in charge of those laws, but they died. They all died. Do you know who that leaves? Me! It's taken me all these years to realise the Laws of Time are mine, and they will obey me!" ~ The Tenth Doctor

"We're not just fighting the Flood, we're fighting time itself. And I'm going to win!" ~ The Tenth Doctor

Adelaide: But Susie, my granddaughter. The person she's supposed to become might never exist now.
The 10th Doctor: Nah! Captain Adelaide can inspire her face to face. Different details, but the story's the same.
Adelaide: You can't know that. And if my family changes, the whole of history could change. The future of the human race. No-one should have that much power.
The 10th Doctor: Tough.

"Adelaide, I've done this sort of thing before. In small ways, saved some little people, but never someone as important as you. Oh, I'm good. For a long time now, I thought I was just a survivor, but I'm not. I'm the winner. That's who I am. The Time Lord Victorious." ~ The Tenth Doctor

Adelaide: Is there nothing you can't do?
The 10th Doctor: Not any more.

====================================
Trivia
====================================
This story was initially envisaged as a Christmas special. Several festive references remain, such as the crew on Mars preparing for Christmas dinner, and the snowing when the Doctor arrives back on Earth as he exclaims how he likes snow.

Lindsay Duncan became the oldest actress, and briefly the oldest individual, to be cast in the companion role (although like several before her, her official status as a companion will remain debatable). As Bernard Cribbins took on the companion role in The End of Time, he became the oldest male actor and oldest individual in this role.

The episode ends with a dedication to Barry Letts. The former Doctor Who producer and writer had died several weeks before the broadcast.

In a deleted scene, the Doctor suggested that the Ice Warriors were unable to fully defeat the Flood and fled the planet as a result, explaining their absence.

This story won the 2010 Hugo Award in the category of Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form.

On November 21, 2009 (only six days after the initial broadcast, and exactly 50 years before the date the episode takes place in), David Tennant surpassed Jon Pertwee as the actor with the second-longest tenure as the Doctor. Jon Pertwee was the Doctor for 1,617 days, and following The End of Time David Tennant was the Doctor a total of 1,658 days.

"Bowie Base One" has a layout similar to the Moonbase from Gerry Anderson's TV series "UFO".

"Bowie Base One" is a reference to David Bowie's song "Life on Mars".

The Waters of Mars was the last story to feature the Tenth Doctor's blue suit.

====================================
Trailer
====================================




Available on Amazon, Netflix, or iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment