Saturday, January 12, 2013

NuWho - Series 4, Episode 9 - Forest of the Dead (Season 30, Story 195b)

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Listen, all you need to know is this, I trust that man to the end of the Universe. And actually, we've been." ~ River Song

"Doctor. One day I'm going to be someone that you trust. Completely. But I can't wait for you to find that out. So I'm going to prove it to you. And I'm sorry. I'm really very sorry. Are we good? Doctor. Are we good?" ~ River Song

"You know when you see a photograph of someone you know and it's before you knew them.  And it's like they're not quite finished, they're not done yet. Well, yes, the Doctors here, he came when I called, like he always does.  But not MY doctor. But not MY doctor. I've seen whole armies turn and run away, and he'd just swagger off back to his TARDIS, and open the door with a snap of his fingers. The Doctor.  In the TARDIS.  Next stop everywhere." ~ River Song

"Thing about me, I'm stupid. I talk to much. Always babbling on. This gob doesn't stop for anything. Wanna know the only reason I'm still alive? I always stay near the door." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"She's got over four thousand living minds chatting away inside her head. It must like... being, well... me." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I liked. That is not a safe place to stand. I'm The Doctor and you're in the biggest library in the Universe. Look me up." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Funny thing is, this means you've always known how I was going to die. All the time we've been together you knew I was coming here. The last time I saw you—the real you, the future you, I mean—you turned up on my doorstep with a new haircut and a suit. You took me to Derillium. To see the Singing Towers. Oh, what a night that was. The towers sang, and you cried. You wouldn't tell me why but I suppose you knew it was time. My time. Time to come to the Library. You even gave me your screwdriver. That should have been a clue. There's nothing you can do." ~ River Song

"River you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear. There's only one way I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Why? Why would I give her my screwdriver? Why would I do that? Thing is Future Me had years to think about it. All those years to think of a way to save her. And what he did was give her a screwdriver. Why would I do that? Oh! Look at that! I'm very good!" ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Some days are special. Some days are so so blessed. Some days nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while—every day in a million days when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call—everybody lives." ~ River Song

====================================
Trivia
====================================
The working title for this story was River's Run. When BBC Video announced the North American release of the Series 4 DVD box set, this title was used in the episode list and not Forest of the Dead. The Radio Times also used this working title. According to REF: Doctor Who: The Writer's Tale - The Final Chapter, the title was changed not long before broadcast.

In River Song's voiceover, she mentions the "skies of all the worlds might just turn dark", a possible reference to the Darkness, a story arc element that plays out in the series 4 finale. Another Possible reference to his "Reboot" of the universe where as before he did so the Predestination Paradox was a universe with no lights in the sky and they were all shown to be "expiring" before.

CAL was also the name of the computer graphics company that created the title sequence used between 1987 and 1989 for the Seventh Doctor's TV adventures. A result of this work was the creation of the first photo-realistic CGI TARDIS, featured in Bad Wolf.

This is the second episode in this series to have a character (River) share the name of a character from the Joss Whedon show Firefly. The first was Cobb in The Doctor's Daughter.

In the girl's house, on a drawing on the wall, there is a picture of a blonde haired girl and a wolf. This may be a reference to Rose and Bad Wolf.

Moffat's recurring theme "everybody lives" returns again in this episode. In the BBC podcast associated with this episode, Moffat and Davies point out that so far in the four major storylines that he has contributed to the series, the only "final" deaths that have occurred have been due to old age (such as Billy Shipton and Kathy Nightingale) or illness (Madame de Pompadour). Moffat consequently promises (in the podcast) that he will kill people off in more dramatic fashion in future stories, proven to be true in The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone.

The concept of downloading human consciousness as data - even after physical death - and the philosophical issues surrounding this is an issue being addressed by futurists in real-life, with scientists such as Ray Kurzweil speculating that technology will allow the uploading of consciousness to computers within a generation in his book, The Age of Spiritual Machines.

A recurring theme in this and the preceding episode is "spoilers". This is a term that was coined in the 1990s by science fiction fandom to address the circulation of information revealing the plots and endings of TV shows and movies. Interestingly, the fourth series of Doctor Who contains several examples of plot twists and cameos that were successfully protected from "spoilers". Other examples of successful spoiler protection include the appearance of Catherine Tate at the end of Doomsday. Examples of plot twists that were not successfully protected from "spoilers" included the return of Rose in Series 4 - spoiled in part by people witnessing the filming - and the regeneration of Christopher Eccleston at the end of Series 1 - spoiled by the BBC publicity office itself.

====================================
Trailer
====================================




Available on Amazon, Netflix, or iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment