Thursday, January 3, 2013

Classic Who - Season 26, Story 154 - The Curse of Fenric

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"If this is a top secret naval camp, then I'm Lord Nelson." ~ Ace

"I've had more trouble getting into Greenford disco without a ticket." ~ Ace

"About time too! Call yourselves Royal Marines? You're a disgrace. Those boots are filthy. What would happen if the Germans attacked now?  I don't suppose you know where Doctor Judson's office is? Never mind. This way." ~ The Seventh Doctor

"Ace! Bunk beds! Bags I go on top." ~ Ace

Wainwright: I can't see why he spends so much time studying old carvings. I keep telling him he's wasting his time.
The 7th Doctor: Answering questions is never a waste of time.
Wainwright: Surely that depends on the answers.

"They're suspicious people in these parts. Too afraid of the old Viking curse to break in here. This church is built on old Viking graves. They say evil was once buried here." ~ vicar Wainwright

"Yeah, it was definitely some kind of machinery, Professor. Only don't bother listening to me, 'cause I'm only a mere mortal." ~ Ace

"You impudent child. Do you know why it's called Maidens Point? Because when you stand on those cliffs, you can hear the terrible lost cries of girls who went to that place with evil in their hearts. Girls who are damned forever. Yes, you mark my words. There's evil at Maidens Point." ~ Miss Hadaker

Judson: The machine can do it, if you'd be so kind as to authorise it, sir. Thank you. Oh yes, the machine can do it. This is the first. In the future there'll be many more computing machines, thinking machines.
Millington: Yes, but whose thoughts will they think?

"It's probably all nonsense. Some records that my grandfather made when he was vicar of Saint Jude's at the end of the last century. He translated the Viking inscriptions. I wish to heavens he never had." ~ Vicar Wainwright

"I warn of the day when the earth shall fall asunder, and all of heaven too. The Wolves of Fenric shall return for their treasure, and then shall the dark evil rule eternally. This is it. The final battle between the gods and the beasts. It's now, Judson. The Curse of Fenric." ~ Commander Millington

"We play for high stakes. Victory goes to those who take the greatest risk. Go." ~ Captain Sorin

"The Well of Hvergelmir, deep beneath the ground where broods of serpents spew their venom over the roots of the Great Ash Tree." ~ The 7th Doctor

"The future's not so bad. Have faith in me." ~ Ace

Judson: Of course, you haven't seen it, have you? A completely automatic computing machine, the most advanced in the world.
The 7th Doctor: Remarkable for the nineteen forties.

The 7th Doctor: And Whitehall thinks that Moscow is careless enough to let you detonate one of those things inside the Kremlin?
Millington: Oh, that's the beauty of it, Doctor. We won't detonate it. They'll do it themselves. They'll use the machine to decrypt our ciphers, but Doctor Judson has programmed it to self-destruct when it tries to decrypt a particular word. And, once the political climate is appropriate, we will include the word in one of our ciphers.

Kathleen: Do you have any family yourself?
The 7th Doctor: I don't know.
Kathleen: Oh, I'm sorry. It's the war, isn't it? It must be terrible not knowing.

"I know what the inscription means. It's a logic diagram. Look, this is a logic diagram for the flip-flop thingy, right? And this is a logic diagram for something else.  It's for a computer." ~ Ace

"And the half-time score, Perivale six hundred million, rest of the universe nil." ~ Ace

"No, that's exactly what we won't do. He'll just go around shooting everything." ~ The Seventh Doctor

"No, not vampires, haemovores. They are what Homo sapiens evolve into thousands of years in the future. Creatures with an insatiable hunger for blood." ~ The Seventh Doctor

"The Viking legends will come true. The treasure will be brought to us, and with it all the dark powers of Fenric shall be ours." ~ Commander Millington

"You've got to have faith! Have faith. Faith. Faith." ~ The Seventh Doctor

"If you want a job doing properly, get a girl to do it. Out of the way, boys." ~ Ace

The 7th Doctor: Where did you find that?
Ace: It was just lying around.
The 7th Doctor: That's the Oriental treasure we've been looking for.

"The Russians aren't your problem, those creatures are. They devour humans the way you eat fruit." ~ The Seventh Doctor

"You know what's going on, don't you? You always know. You just can't be bothered to tell anyone. It's like it's some kind of game, and only you know the rules. You knew all about that inscription being a computer programme, but you didn't tell me. You know all about that old bottle, and you're not telling me. Am I so stupid?" ~ Ace

"The dawn of time. The beginning of all beginnings. Two forces only, good and evil. Then chaos. Time is born, matter, space. The universe cries out like a newborn. The forces shatter as the universe explodes outwards. Only echoes remain, and yet somehow, somehow the evil force survives. An intelligence. Pure evil!" ~ The Seventh Doctor

"You have to move faster than that if you want to keep up with me. Faster than light. Much faster. We're not even moving yet. Hardly cruising speed. Sometimes I move so fast, I don't exist any more." ~ Ace

"We play the contest again, Time Lord. You left me in the shadow dimensions, trapped for seventeen centuries. But now I've found a body again, and the preparations are complete." ~ Fenric

"For seventeen centuries I was trapped in the shadow dimensions because of him. He pulled bones from the desert sands and carved them into chess pieces. He challenged me to solve his puzzle. I failed. Now I shall see him kneel before me before I let him die." ~ Fenric

Fenric: We call him the Great Serpent.
Millington: And the Great Serpent shall rise from the sea and spew venom over all the Earth.
Fenric: There's enough poison in here to contaminate the world forever.

"They're insane. They're trying to control the world with chemical weapons." ~ Bates

"I don't like dark buildings. There was one in Perivale, an old, empty house full of noises. Evil. Things I didn't understand. Undercurrents." ~ Ace

"You couldn't resist it, could you? The game of traps. The contest as before. One move. Find the winning move. Spring the trap on me, if you can." ~ The Seventh Doctor

The 7th Doctor: Thousands of years in the future, the Earth lies dying, the surface just a chemical slime. Half a million years of industrial progress.
Haemovore: I am the last. The last living creature on Earth. I watched my world dying with chemicals, and I could do nothing. My world is dead.

"Another of Fenric's games. He carries you back in a time storm to destroy the Earth's water with chemicals, to destroy your future. Think on it. Your Earth, your world, dying of a chemical slime. This act will be the beginning of your end." ~ The Seventh Doctor

"The baby. In thirty years, the baby will be grown. She will have a daughter. That daughter will be you. You've just created your own future. The baby is your mother. The mother you hate." ~ Fenric

"The Doctor never fails. I've got faith in him. Complete faith." ~ Ace

"Do you think I didn't know? The chess set in Lady Peinforte's study? I knew. I knew. I knew she carried the evil inside her. Do you think I'd have chosen a social misfit if I hadn't known? She couldn't even pass her chemistry exams at school, and yet she manages to create a time storm in her bedroom. I saw your hand in it from the very beginning. She's an emotional cripple. I wouldn't waste my time on her, unless I had to use her somehow." ~ The Seventh Doctor

"I'd have done anything not to hurt you, but I had to save you from Fenric's evil curse. Your faith in me was holding the haemovore back.  I had to make you lose your belief in me." ~ The Seventh Doctor

====================================
Trivia
====================================
Writer Ian Briggs based the character of Dr. Judson on Alan Turing. (The "ULTIMA machine" of the story is based on the real Enigma machine.) In an interview for the DVD release of this story, Briggs said that since at that time it was not considered appropriate to depict a character's struggle with homosexuality in a family program, he transformed Turing's frustration at being unable to express his true sexual identity into Judson's frustration at being crippled. In the same interview, Briggs stated that he intended to suggest that both Judson and Millington were homosexual, and had a shared past, although this was not realized in the finished program.

 The Curse of Fenric was originally to have been shot, as with most Doctor Who serials, as a mixture of studio interiors and location exteriors. However, after reading the script, director Nicholas Mallett persuaded producer John Nathan-Turner that given the settings involved, the serial could be made more effective and realistic by shooting the entire production on location. Nathan-Turner eventually agreed to this proposition.

This story was originally going to be titled The Wolves of Fenric (and before that, Wolf-Time). Fenric does refer to his servants as his "wolves" (and wolves have a strong link to Norse mythology). However, John Nathan-Turner felt that as the "wolves" connection was not revealed until quite late in the story, the title would not initially make any sense to the audience. It would appear that the change of story title came quite late in the day, as the Radio Times program listing for Ghost Light Part Three bears the footnote "Next week a new story begins: 'The Wolves of Fenric'".

Ace mentions an old house in Perivale. Originally, this was supposed to be a foreshadowing of the events of Ghost Light, but the rearranging of the broadcast schedule turned it into a reference to a past story. Also, the Doctor starts off the story in a duffel coat that hid his altered outfit which was supposed to be revealed first during the course of this story. This too was affected by the rearranging of the schedule.

The Doctor states that he does not know if he has any family. During his second incarnation, he told Victoria Waterfield that they slept within his mind. (The Tomb of the Cybermen)

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4


Also available on Amazon and Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment