Friday, January 4, 2013

Classic Who - Season 19, Story 120 - Black Orchid

====================================
Quotes
====================================
Tegan: I did say I wanted to stay with the crew for a while. You can stop trying to get me back to Heathrow.
The 5th Doctor: I have.
Tegan: You certainly know how to fly this crate, don't you.

Lady C: Your Doctor substitute has made your score almost respectable, Charles.
Charles: Perfectly ripping performance. Much better player than Smutty.

"Oh, well bowled!" ~ Tegan

"I'm sorry, Mother, but he'd like to remain incognito, and I think we should respect that after what he's done today." ~ Charles

"The black orchid. Yes, it is beautiful. It was found on the Orinoco by my eldest son, George." ~ Lady C

"Why do I always let my curiosity get the better of me?" ~ The Fifth Doctor

"Why didn't I leave after the cricket?" ~ The Fifth Doctor

"Why would I attack you? Have you done me any harm? No, then I've no reason to harm you. And besides...Well, it wouldn't be cricket." ~ The Fifth Doctor

"Now listen, that fellow you sent us. What? What? Well, there was a fellow here. Yes. Won the blessed game for us. First class bat and a demon bowler." ~ Charles

====================================
Trivia
====================================
Black Orchid was notable for being the highest-rated story of the Davison era. It also gave Sarah Sutton a chance to play two different characters, and Davison the opportunity to actually play cricket, thereby justifying his costume.

This is the first story since The Highlanders not to feature any science fiction elements, apart from the use of the TARDIS, in the story. Of all the purely historical serials, this is set in the (as of 2008) closest time from its airdate.

While other stories have featured incidental indications that the Doctor likes cricket, (The Ribos Operation, Castrovalva, Four to Doomsday, Human Nature) this is the only televised story to depict the Doctor playing in an actual match. (Peter Davison, a keen cricketer, actually did play cricket in the Doctor's cricket match, and did quite well — he bowled out his opponent.)

The Doctor gets trapped in the hallway and moans about how he always lets his curiosity get the best of him. His curiosity also gets him into bad predicaments in, among others, The Daleks, The Web Planet, The Time Meddler and The Leisure Hive.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2


DVD available for purchase from Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment