Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Classic Who - Season 15, Story 92 - Horror of Fang Rock

====================================
Quotes
====================================
Ben: I never seen a fog come in like that afore. And thick!
Reuben: Worst thing for sailors that ever was.

Leela: You said I would like Brighton. Well, I do not.
The 4th Doctor: Does this look like Brighton?
Leela: I do not know.

The 4th Doctor: That's odd.
Leela: What is?
The 4th Doctor: A lighthouse without a light.

Vince: How'd you get here?
Leela: We came in the Tardis.
The 4th Doctor: We're mislaid mariners. Our craft's parked on the other side of the island.
Vince: Oh. Oh, you got lost in the fog, did you?

Vince: Oh yes, it's a lonely up in the lighthouse, you see. I go out sometimes and talk to the seals, you know, just to get a change from Reuben and Ben.
Leela: Seals are animals?
Vince: Well, yes.
Leela: That is stupid. You should talk often with the old ones of the tribe. That is the only way to learn.

Reuben: He won't rest easy, you know, boy.
Vince: Eh?
Reuben: If Ben was killed by that damn blasted machine, there'll be anger in his soul. And when they die like that, they'll never rest easy.

Reuben: Damned electricity. Wouldn't happen with oil. Ahoy!
The 4th Doctor: No, I don't suppose it would. It seems to need electricity.

Reuben: I wouldn't try to find out. Tain't wise.
Leela: What do you mean?
Reuben: Reckon I know what you've seen. They always said the Beast of Fang Rock would be back.
The 4th Doctor: The Beast of Fang Rock.
Reuben: Aye.

The 4th Doctor: Ah, you want to get to London?
Palmerdale: Yes! Yes.
The 4th Doctor: You've no chance in this fog.

Leela: Do you think the beast ate him?
The 4th Doctor: What beast?
Leela: The Beast of Fang Rock.
The 4th Doctor: There's no such animal.
Leela: But Reuben said there was.
The 4th Doctor: Leela, the people round here have been fisher folk for generations. They're almost as primitive and as superstition-ridden as your lot are.

Leela: Oh, do not be stupid, Vince. I told you before, the dead do not walk.
Vince: He must have been to have got out there in the first place.
Leela: I don't know how he got outside, but he did not walk!

Leela: Why did you not tell him the truth?
The 4th Doctor: Because I don't know what the truth is, yet.

Reuben: More than a tale, boy. That girl saw it tonight. I heard her telling the Doctor. Shining, she said it was, just like they reckon.
Vince: She couldn't have seen it.
Reuben: Last time that beast was seen on Fang Rock, eighty year ago now, two men died that very same night.

Leela: What? What do you think it is, Doctor.
The 4th Doctor: I don't know what it is, Leela. I think it's desperate and I think it's cunning, and I think it's time we were getting back.

The 4th Doctor: What about the others? They'll think we're mad if we start talking about creatures from outer space.
Leela: But we're from space. We're not of this Earth.
The 4th Doctor: Shush. Don't tell them that, whatever you do.

Leela: Silence! You will do as the Doctor instructs, or I will cut out your heart.
The 4th Doctor: You heard what she said.

The 4th Doctor: Why am I standing here wasting my time trying to work out its size?
Harker: I don't know, sir.
The 4th Doctor: If Reuben's seen it, he can tell us.
Leela: That is what I thought, but of course I am only a savage.
The 4th Doctor: Come on, savage.

Leela: Oh, Harker, I have a message from the Doctor. He said Reuben will not answer, so you must stay here and keep the boy pressure up.
Harker: Er, boiler pressure, miss?
Leela: That is what I said.

The 4th Doctor: The Malicious Damage Act 1861 covers lighthouses.
Leela: What?
The 4th Doctor: Nothing.

The 4th Doctor: I've never been more serious, Colonel. We are facing an enemy of greater power than you can dream of.
Skinsale: I do appreciate the scientific romanticism of Mister Wells, Doctor, but...
The 4th Doctor: Herbert may have a few unimportant facts wrong, but his basic supposition is sound enough. You think your little speck in the galaxy's the only one with intelligent life, hmm?

Adelaide: I told him we shouldn't have come, but he wouldn't listen. He laughed when I said Miss Nethercott had seen tragedy in my stars.
Leela: In your stars?
Adelaide: If only we'd stayed in Deauville. I knew something ghastly would happen. Her predictions are never wrong.
Leela: I understand. She is your shaman.
Adelaide: What? No, Miss Nethercott is an astrologer. The finest. I consult her every month.
Leela: A waste of time. I too used to believe in magic, but the Doctor has taught me about science. It is better to believe in science.

"The chameleon factor, sometimes called lycanthropy. Leela, I've made a terrible mistake. I thought I'd locked the enemy out. Instead, I've locked it in, with us." ~ The Fourth Doctor

Leela: Oh. Then we have nothing to worry about.
The 4th Doctor: We don't?
Leela: No. You will easily dispose of this primitive creature, Doctor. You are a Time Lord.

Skinsale: Is this advisable, Doctor?
The 4th Doctor: Probably not, but we've no choice. I'm so sorry to bother you. Could you oblige me with a light?
Skinsale: A what?
The 4th Doctor: A match.
Skinsale: Oh yes, of course, here.

Skinsale: Well, there is this, Doctor.
The 4th Doctor: What?
Skinsale: I carried it up from the service room. It looks like a kind of mortar.
The 4th Doctor: It's an early Schermuly.
Skinsale: An early Schermuly?
The 4th Doctor: Yes, an early Schermuly. A Schermuly box that fires a rocket and line.
Skinsale: A projectile weapon.
The 4th Doctor: Yes. It won't do, though. Stay calm, Skinsale.

The 4th Doctor: That? Are you suggesting I convert the carbon arc beam?
Leela: Well, obviously.
The 4th Doctor: Leela, that's a beautiful notion. Unfortunately I'd need a focusing device, a fairly large piece of crystalline carbon.

Leela: Are you all right?
The 4th Doctor: You singed my scarf.
Leela: And the Colonel?
The 4th Doctor: Dead with honour.
Leela: Then at least we have avenged him.

Rutan: Your triumph will be short, Earthling. Our mother ship will blast this island into molten rock.
Leela: Empty threats, Rutan. Enjoy your death as I enjoyed killing you.
Rutan: We die for the glory of our race. Long live the Rutan empire!

Leela: Slay me, Doctor.
The 4th Doctor: What?
Leela: I'm blind. Slay me now. It is the fate of the old and crippled.

====================================
Trivia
====================================
"Horror of Fang Rock is notable for being the only Doctor Who serial made at BBC Pebble Mill.  Additionally, in both the Classic and NuWho series' entire runs, this is the only time a Rutan, long-time enemy of the often-seen Sontarans, appears.

The story was written in a hurry as a replacement for an earlier story about vampires, which was abandoned after a directive from BBC executive Graeme MacDonald that Doctor Who could not make a story about vampires as it would be interpreted as a send-up of the BBC's new and prestigious adaptation of Count Dracula  starring Louis Jourdan.  The vampire story would later make it's debut in season 18 as "State of Decay".

The setting was a sort of pay back for Robert Holmes.  During Terrance Dicks stint as Script Editor, he instructed Holmes to write a story set in a medieval castle.  Holmes, a futuristic writer was unfamiliar and uncomfortable with the idea but complied, turning out "The Time Warrior".  This time around, Holmes was the Script Editor, and he instructed Dicks to write a story set in a lighthouse, something Dicks had no experience with.

Director Paddy Russell had great problems with Tom Baker during the production of this story. Baker particularly disliked the script and at one point during rehearsals threw his script out of a window. His relationship with co-star Louise Jameson was also very strained. Russell had such an unhappy time that she vowed she would never work on Doctor Who again after this.

Conversely, it was a scene in episode three that proved crucial to the behind-the-scenes relationship between Baker and Jameson. In one scene, he consistently came in ahead of his cue, thereby upstaging her. On the grounds that this move was "not what they had rehearsed" she insisted on three successive retakes until he came in at the rehearsed time. This eventually won his respect. From that point forward, she claims their working relationship was much smoother.

In order to tint her blue eyes brown for the part of Leela, Jameson wore colored contact lenses that made everything appear red. Jameson found the effect so difficult to work through that she petitioned the producers to change Leela's eye color; this was duly done at the end of "Horror of Fang Rock", where a powerful explosion causes "pigmentation dispersal" in Leela's eyes, changing them from brown to blue.

====================================
Trailer & Links
====================================


Doctor Who: Horror of Fang Rock (Story 92) DVD is available at Amazon.com,
or watch via streaming at Netflix or Hulu Plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment