Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Classic Who - Season 14, Story 91 - The Talons of Weng-Chiang

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Courteous coves, these Chinese. I'd have propelled him onto the pavement with a punt up the posterior." ~ Jago

"Doctor, you make me wear strange clothes, you tell me nothing. You are trying to annoy me." ~ Leela

Jago: You've been drinking.
Casey: Not a drop, sir.
Jago: Well, it's time you started.

The 4th Doctor: Flat footed imbecile.
Sergeant Kyle: What was that, sir?
The 4th Doctor: It was nothing complementary. Get on with it, Sergeant.

"Are you Chinese? Yes, that's it. We must have. No, I haven't been in China for four hundred years." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"True, Lord, I read their minds with ease, but tonight there was a stranger, a man whose thoughts were hidden. A man different from all others. He is a doctor. Tall with wide pale eyes and hair that curls like the ram. He ask many questions." ~ Chang

Leela: It's very interesting. You say you can tell the height of the attacker by the way the blade was thrust? But when aiming for the heart, we were always taught to strike under the breastbone.
Litefoot: Upon my soul!
The 4th Doctor: Savage. Found floating down the Amazon in a hat box.
Litefoot: A hat box?

"I don't know who's a blackguard. Some slavering gangrenous vampire comes out of a sewer and stalks this city at night, he's a blackguard. I've got to find his lair and I haven't got an hour to loose." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

Leela: But he's escaping!
The 4th Doctor: There's no escape that way. He's gone to join his ancestors.

"With his DNA helixes split open, the more cells he absorbs into himself, the more deformed he becomes." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Elementary, my dear Litefoot. He came in the laundry basket and let the others in." ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: Unsuccessful time travel, Professor. Findicker's discovery of the double nexus particle sent human science up a technological cul-de-sac.
Litefoot: Are you following this?
Leela: Not a word.

"Found this in my cellar. Thought the Doctor might be interested. It could have something to do with those Chineses.  I had thought of communicating directly with Scotland Yard, where as you know he's held in the highest esteem.  It's my opinion he solves half their cases and then lets them take the credit for it, don't you agree?" ~ Jago

"No, eureka's Greek for this bath is too hot." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Never trust a man with dirty fingernails." ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: Very impressive. I'll have the Bird's Nest Soup.
Weng-Chiang: What?
The 4th Doctor: Well, isn't this where you do the cooking?

"Your so-called technology is the twisted lunacy of a scientific dark age." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"So, you are from the future, and I, for all my achievements, are only remembered as a war criminal. Of course, it is the winning side that writes history, Doctor." ~ Magnus Greel

"Spawn of evil. Now I destroy you!" ~ Leela

Litefoot: Hey! Who are you shooting at?
Leela: Well, I've never fired one of these before.

Leela: Professor Litefoot has been explaining to me about tea.
The 4th Doctor: Really?
Leela: It's very complicated.

====================================
Trivia
====================================
The Doctor wears a deerstalker hat, which was the characteristic headgear of film and television versions of Arthur Conan Doyle's detective Sherlock Holmes. Litefoot also mentions his housekeeper, Mrs Hudson, a character from Sherlock Holmes. The giant rat echoes a famous untold Sherlock Holmes story; in the Conan Doyle story The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire, Holmes mentions "the giant rat of Sumatra, a story for which the world is not yet prepared." Finally, the Doctor says, "Elementary, my dear Litefoot", paraphrasing "Elementary, my dear Watson", a line widely associated with Holmes (though never actually spoken by him in the Conan Doyle canon).

This is the only story of the Fourth Doctor's era in which the Doctor does not wear his famous long scarf at any point.

Fan-favourite characters Henry Gordon Jago and George Litefoot made their first and only televised appearance. They went on to get their own audio series, Jago and Litefoot.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6



No comments:

Post a Comment