Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Classic Who - Season 10, Story 67 - Frontier in Space

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Look, they steal a few of our cargoes, we steal a few of theirs. It'll all blow over." ~ Stewart

"Mysterious object sighted during hyperspace transition. Object resembled large box with flashing light on top. Object disappeared before collision. Present whereabouts unknown." ~ Hardy

"Only you could manage to have a traffic accident in space." ~ Jo Grant

"Nonsense, it's simply a man with a gun. Now pull yourself together." ~ The Third Doctor

"Many of our noblemen felt it was a mistake to make a treaty with the Earthmen. Perhaps they were right. You attack our ships and when we protest, you trick us with lies and evasions. I give you a final warning. The path you are treading leads only to war. And in that war, Draconia will destroy you!" ~ Draconian Prince

"I'm reversing the polarity of my ultrasonic screwdriver's power source, thereby converting it into an extremely powerful electromagnet." ~ The Third Doctor

"No, the Ogrons are mercenaries. Other life forms use them to do their dirty work." ~ The Third Doctor

Gardiner: Stewart? Who are you?
The 3rd Doctor: Passengers.
Gardiner: I see. Having a fancy dress party?

"Will you stop pacing up and down like a perishing panda. Now come and sit down. Let me think, will you?" ~ The Third Doctor

"Oh. Oh, well that's simple then. I mean, all we've got to do is find out what's going on, who's behind the Ogrons, where they've taken the Tardis, go and get it back and then we can all go home. Right? I don't know what I've been worrying about." ~ The Third Doctor

"Well, they're only sort of computers with a few extra knobs on. And you know how stupid computers can be, don't you? Now come and sit down, stop worrying. Come on. Sit down. Did I ever tell you the story about how I was once captured by the Medusoids?" ~ The Third Doctor

"Allow me to congratulate you, sir. You have the most totally closed mind that I've ever encountered." ~ The Third Doctor

Draconian Prince: General Williams hates out people. Once before, he caused war between us and the Earthmen. Now he plans to do so again.
Draconian Aide: Such a war would be madness since both empires would be destroyed.
The 3rd Doctor: Yes, I couldn't agree with you more. That's exactly what I've been trying to say to you. The Earth cargo ship was not attacked by Draconians.

"There is one thing worse than war, Madam President, and that is defeat." ~ General Williams

"Well, they've made up their minds, you see. They'll only believe us if we tell them what they want to hear. It's a pity really that the Ogrons didn't succeed in kidnapping us. Perhaps we should have been more helpful." ~ The Third Doctor

"Sentence? Where have you been? There are no sentences. Once they send you to the moon, it's forever." ~ Patel

The Master: Penny for them, Miss Grant?
Jo: You. What are you doing here?

Jo: So it was you! You ordered those Ogrons to attack the ships and pretend they were Draconians!
The Master: But of course. Those lumbering idiots could never have thought up such a brilliant scheme by themselves.

"How could I leave two dear friends in such dire straights?" ~ The Master

"Good grief. Do you know, sir, you're the first person who's believed me?" ~ The Third Doctor

"The door. It's locked! They're depressurising. Don't you understand, man? They're pumping out the air!" ~ The Third Doctor

Cross: No, sir. They stole the suits. Must have messed it up and taken ones with empty cylinders.
The 3rd Doctor: And I take it we that also locked ourselves in the airlock from the outside and switched off the air supply?
The Master: He does have a point there, you know, Governor?

"I think that those two prisoners were telling the truth. I think that your trusty, Cross, was helping them. On your instructions. Oh come, Governor. You rid yourself of a politically dangerous prisoner, and foster the legend that escape is impossible in one go. I must congratulate you." ~ The Third Doctor

"Oh come, Doctor, you know the game's up. Why not admit defeat?" ~ The Master

The Master: Oh, by the way, I need hardly warn you there is no point in trying to escape. This is an interplanetary police spaceship, specially built for carrying prisoners, as you can see.
The 3rd Doctor: Stolen, of course?
The Master: Of course.

"I didn't steal it. I just borrowed it. I fully intended to return it, I assure you. Anyway, she wasn't exactly the latest model, poor old thing." ~ The Third Doctor

"As I soon realised, the trouble with Lethbridge Stewart is that he's got a military mind.  That's the trouble though. He's hidebound, you see. He always does everything by the rules. I keep telling him. I said, there are times, you know, when you've simply got to cut right through the red tape." ~ The Third Doctor

"What an ingenious fellow you are, Doctor." ~ The Master

"Well, I should try and be a bit more hospitable, old chap. Come on, put that gun away. They've probably got us outnumbered." ~ The Third Doctor

"In such a war, there are no victors." ~ Draconian Emperor

"Ah, but I am a noble of Draconia. The honour was conferred on me by the fifteenth Emperor." ~ The Third Doctor

The Master: I too welcome your wisdom, your Majesty. Nobody could be more devoted to the cause of peace than I. As a commissioner of Earth's Interplanetary Police, I have devoted my life to the cause of law and order. And law and order can only exist in a time of peace.
The 3rd Doctor: You feeling all right, old chap?

"Great lumbering idiots! Now you tell me that you've left one of your fellows in the palace. Do you realise what this means? As soon as the effect of the hypnosound wears off, the Draconians will know who it really was who attacked them. You've ruined everything!" ~ The Master

"You'd only be wasting your time. The Ogrons have got the finest defence mechanism of all. Stupidity. They haven't got a mind for you to probe." ~ The Third Doctor

"I know, I know, women aren't allowed to speak. You know, I think it's about time that women's lib was brought to Draconia." ~ Jo Grant

The Master: I'd like to try and take the Doctor alive if possible. If not, I'll blast him out of space. Pity though.
Ogron: You do not wish to kill him?
The Master: Of course I do! But I don't know, rocket fire at long range, it's. I don't know, somehow it lacks that personal touch.

"Must I do everything myself?" ~ The Master

"You know, Miss Grant, I'm going to set a trap for the Doctor and you are going to help me." ~ The Master

"It's a form of self-conditioning. You fill your mind with nonsense and then you can't be hypnotised." ~ Jo Grant

General Williams: No doubt you're a qualified space engineer too, Doctor?
The 3rd Doctor: Naturally.

"You know as well as I do that this man does not fear death. I want him to suffer a much worse punishment. Look, my skill and cunning has brought about this war which will make you the masters of the galaxy. Leave the Doctor with me, and let him see the result of that war. Let him see the galaxy in ruins. Let him see the planet Earth, that he loves so much, in ruins, then exterminate him." ~ The Master

"Right, we'll see who rules the galaxy when this is over. Do not fail the Daleks, indeed. You stupid tin boxes." ~ The Master

"Telepathic circuits. Sending a message to the Time Lords." ~ The Third Doctor


====================================
Trivia
====================================
This story marks Roger Delgado's last appearance in Doctor Who. On 18 June 1973 he was killed in a car crash in Turkey while on the way to the location for a film called Bell of Tibet. As a result of Delgado's death, the writers chose not to cast a new actor in the role of the Master and instead abandoned future plans for the character's interaction with the Third Doctor.

Episode 5 is one of only two episodes in Doctor Who history to feature the 'Delaware Theme' during its opening as well as its closing credits. The UK broadcast used the standard theme music, but the version sent to Australia already had the unused arrangement edited in.

The planet of the Ogrons is portrayed by Beachfields Quarry, in Surrey.

Louis Mahoney (Newscaster) would later play Ponti in Planet of Evil and the elderly Billy Shipton in Blink.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6



No comments:

Post a Comment