Thursday, January 10, 2013

NuWho - Series 3, Episode 13 - Last of the Time Lords (Season 29, Story 188b)

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Space lane traffic is advised to stay away from Sol Three, also known as Earth. Pilots are warned Sol Three is now entering terminal extinction. Planet Earth is closed. Planet Earth is closed. Planet Earth is closed." ~ Computer

"You should see Russia. That's Shipyard Number One. All the way from the Black Sea to the Bering Strait, there's a hundred thousand rockets getting ready for war. The rest of the universe. I've been out there, Tom, in space, before all this happened, and there's a thousand different civilisations all around us with no idea of what's happening here. The Master can build weapons big enough to devastate them all." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Oh, do you know, I remember the days when the Doctor, oh, that famous Doctor, was waging a Time War, battling Sea Devils and Axons. He sealed the rift at the Medusa Cascade single handed. And look at him now. Stealing screwdrivers. How did he ever come to this? Oh yeah, me." ~ The Master

"Once the Empire is established, and there's a new Gallifrey in the heavens, maybe then it stops. The drumming. The never ending drumbeat. Ever since I was a child. I looked into the vortex. That's when it chose me. The drumming, the call to war. Can't you hear it? Listen, it's there now. Right now. Tell me you can hear it, Doctor. Tell me." ~ The Master

"My masterpiece, Doctor. A living Tardis, strong enough to hold the paradox in place, allowing the past and the future to collide in infinite majesty." ~ The Master

The 10th Doctor: But you're changing history. Not just Earth, the entire universe.
The Master: I'm a Time Lord. I have that right.

"Human race, greatest monsters of them all." ~ The Master

"I travelled across the world, from the ruins of New York to the fusion mills of China, right across the radiation pits of Europe. And everywhere I went, I saw people just like you, living as slaves. But if Martha Jones became a legend, then that's wrong, because my name isn't important. There's someone else. The man who sent me out there. The man who told me to walk the Earth. And his name is the Doctor. He has saved your lives so many times, and you never even knew he was there. He never stops. He never stays. He never asks to be thanked. But I've seen him. I know him. I love him. And I know what he can do." ~ Martha Jones

"I've had a whole year to tune myself into the psychic network and integrate with its matrices. The one thing you can't do. Stop them thinking. Tell me the human race is degenerate now, when they can do this. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Oh, but I've got this. Black hole converter inside every ship. If I can't have this world, Doctor, then neither can you. We shall stand upon this Earth together, as it burns." ~ The Master

"Weapon after weapon after weapon. All you do is talk and talk and talk. But over all these years and all these disasters, I've always had the greatest secret of them all. I know you. Explode those ships, you kill yourself. That's the one thing you can never do. Give that to me." ~ The Tenth Doctor

"Okay, vanity. Sorry. Yeah, can't help it. Used to be a poster boy when I was a kid living on the Boeshane Peninsula. Tiny little place. I was the first one ever to be signed up for the Time Agency. They were so proud of me. The Face of Boe, they called me. Hmm. I'll see you." ~ Captain Jack Harkness

====================================
Trivia
====================================
Utopia, The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords have a combined running time of 2 hours 21 minutes. This makes it not only the longest continuous story of the revived series, but the longest since the Sixth Doctor's The Trial of a Time Lord. It beats The End of Time by just six minutes (and this is only because Last of the Time Lords is 51 minutes long, six minutes longer than a standard episode).

Additionally, if you include the full string of seven connected episodes (which begins with Captain Jack Harkness and End of Days, leads directly into Utopia, The Sound of Drums, and Last of the Time Lords, then finishes with Time Crash and Voyage of the Damned) the full running time comes to 5 hours 18 minutes, stopping just 37 minutes shy of The Trial of a Time Lord. If you consider Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang as a direct follow-up to Last of the Time Lords as well, the total rises to 6 hours 6 minutes, which would be the longest continuous story by merely 11 minutes.

Lucy, who was very loving towards her husband in The Sound of Drums, in this episode appeared to be very afraid of him, and she even had marks around her eye. According to the commentary this is because the Master's power went to his head and he started to physically abuse her. Hence one of the reasons she joined in saying the Doctor's name, and shot the Master after he was defeated.

The episode features the surprise revelation that Jack was once known as the Face of Boe, suggesting that the character encountered in The End of the World, New Earth and Gridlock is in fact a future version of Jack Harkness. Writer Russell T Davies reportedly tried to backpedal from this in the DVD commentary, leading to speculation as to whether this is actually the case. However multiple interviews on DVD and in other media by producer Julie Gardner and actors David Tennant and John Barrowman have all indicated without ambiguity that Jack is destined to become the Face of Boe. According to Gardner during a panel presentation at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con, Barrowman wasn't aware of the revelation until fairly late in production.

There are a couple of differnces between the US release (Netflix) and the British release (Amazon), mainly a voice over at the start of the episode, and a scene in which the Jones family discusses who is going to kill the Master in the US release.

====================================
Trailer
====================================




Available on Amazon, Netflix, or iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment