Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Classic Who - Season 8 Story 56 - The Mind of Evil

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here." ~ The Third Doctor

"It all depends what you mean by progress, doesn't it." ~ The Third Doctor

"People who talk about infallibility are usually on very shaky ground, I think." ~ The Third Doctor

"UNIT, sir, was set up to deal with new and unusual menaces to mankind. And in my view, this machine of yours is just that." ~ The Third Doctor

"Today's the first ever World Peace Conference. UNIT's handling all the security arrangements." ~ The Third Doctor

"Interfering with the mind, Governor. It's a dangerous business." ~ The Third Doctor

"If I were a scientist? Let me tell you, sir, that I am a scientist, and I have been for several thousand..." ~ The Third Doctor

"Kettering's lungs were full of water. He drowned in the middle of a perfectly dry room." ~ Dr. Summers

"Well, some time ago, Jo, I witnessed a terrible catastrophe. A whole world just, just disappeared in flames. Well, this machine picked that memory out of my mind and used it to attack me." ~ The Third Doctor

"Look, Doctor, he really does need you. Things are going very badly at the peace conference. The Chinese delegate's dead and we think he's been murdered." ~ Captain Yates

Jo: Just leave everything to me.
The 3rd Doctor: Yes. Yes, I'm rather afraid I'll have to.

The 3rd Doctor: I see you're in your usual sweet affable mood, Brigadier.
Brigadier: When you've quite finished grinning like a Cheshire cat, Captain Yates!

Brigadier: All right, all right, all right, all right, Doctor! You win.
The 3rd Doctor: And you'll back up my report to the Home Office calling for a complete ban on the Keller process.
Brigadier: Yes.
The 3rd Doctor: And you'll get in touch with the Home Secretary and make sure that he takes some action.
Brigadier: Yes, Doctor, and if that doesn't do any good, I personally will go down to Stangmoor and blow the blasted machine up myself. Now, are you or are you not going to help me with this case?

The 3rd Doctor: I remember once having a conversation with Tse-Tung.
Fu Peng: Tse-Tung? But that is the personal name of our chairman, Mao Tse-Tung.
The 3rd Doctor: He himself gave me leave to use it.

"With the peace conference going on it's not the most tactful time to be trundling rockets about, is it?" ~ The Third Doctor

Fu Peng: That was one of the legendary monsters of my people.
The 3rd Doctor: A collective hallucination, gentlemen, nothing more.

"Wa ai, Peng-san. Wa ai. Chin Lee was being used by someone who was trying to drive this world into war." ~ The Third Doctor

"Post-hypnotic block. His usual technique. Who else would make a deliberate attempt to plunge this world into war, using equipment and techniques not even developed on Earth, like this." ~ The Third Doctor

"Don't point that thing at me, man. It might go off!" ~ The Third Doctor

"You'll do nothing, or I'll put a bullet through both your hearts." ~ The Master

"Oh, come, Doctor, how can I possibly fail? I launch the missile and wipe out the peace conference, the world is at war." ~ The Master

The Master: Oh, I really would like to stop and watch your nightmares.
The 3rd Doctor: Then why don't you?
The Master: I have other business as you know. Will you excuse me?

"Wake up! Wake up! Ah. Welcome back. Would it surprise you to know that one of your hearts stopped completely? You were within an inch of dying." ~ The Master

"Be that as it may, I know the secret of that machine. Inside is a creature that feeds on the evil of the mind, and very soon it'll feed on yours." ~ The Third Doctor

"You can't harm me. I'm stronger than you are.  I brought you here. I gave you the minds you need to feed on! You are my servant! You are my servant! I...No! No! You can't destroy me! I am too strong for you! I am too strong for you!" ~ The Master

Jo: Really, Doctor, for someone who was on death's door.
The 3rd Doctor: I do have remarkable powers of recovery, don't I? Come on!

"It's a sort of mind parasite that feeds on evil. The deadliest threat to mankind since the beginning of time." ~ The Third Doctor

"Look, mate, I don't care how busy you are. I want you back. That machine of yours has broken out. It's wandering around the prison. It's killed Lenny Vosper. It's nearly killed me!" ~ Mailer

"A fortress?  I suppose there couldn't possible be a secret underground passage or something?" ~ Major Cosworth

Brigadier: Right, that settles it! We're going to take that prison.
Mjr. Cosworth: By using the underground passage?
Brigadier: Yes. And also by using a Trojan Horse.

"I suppose you're going to ask me to control that machine of yours again. Yes, well, I can't. I've told you before. Nobody can." ~ The Third Doctor

"If all goes well, it should set up an electric current in the coil alternating on much the same frequency as the beta rhythms of the human brain. I think it'll confuse the creature enough to take away its power of movement anyway." ~ The Third Doctor

"Did I ever tell you about the time I was in the Tower of London? Well, I shared a cell with a very strange chap called Raleigh. Sir Walter Raleigh.  He got into some trouble with Queen Elizabeth. Elizabeth the first, that is. He kept going on about this new vegetable of his he'd discovered, you see, called the potato. One day, he sat down, pointed a finger at me..." ~ The Third Doctor

"Thank you, Brigadier. But do you think that for once in your life you could manage to arrive before the nick of time?" ~ The Third Doctor

"Yes, well, apart from losing the Master and the missile, you're doing very well, Brigadier." ~ The Third Doctor

"Yes, well, er, I'll leave the machine to you, and you can leave Master to me." Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"No. No, these creatures are incredibly resilient, Jo. It'd take an atomic explosion or an enormous charge of electricity to destroy that." ~ The Third Doctor

"Leave Earth. Stop bothering us. Go somewhere else and be a nuisance elsewhere. Well, what do you say?" ~ The Third Doctor

The 3rd Doctor: How do I know that you won't take the circuit and fire the missile anyway?
The Master: I'm afraid you don't. You'll just have to trust me this once.
The 3rd Doctor: No, I don't think so.

====================================
Trivia
====================================
This story had the working titles of The Pandora Machine, Man Hours, The Pandora Box, The Pandora's Box.

The production team jokingly named the Chinese dragon "Puff the Magic Dragon".

The Doctor alludes to Inferno: "I saw an entire world consumed by fire." (both stories were written by Don Houghton)

The Master's greatest fear (of the Doctor looming over him) becomes real - to a limited extent - in Last of the Time Lords. The Doctor does not become large and laugh menacingly at him at that time. He is pointedly forgiving of him, in fact. However, both contain the underlying themes of an all-powerful Doctor and the psychological defeat involved in dispelling the Master's superiority complex.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6


No comments:

Post a Comment