Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Classic Who - Season 6, Story 44 - The Dominators

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"It's suitable for our purpose. The planetary crust is thin here, and there is a intelligent form of life suitable for a work force." ~ Rago

"Well, here we are everyone, the Island of Death! Uninhabited for one hundred and seventy years. Nothing can live on this poisonous plot of soil." ~ Cully

"Now look, running aground on an atomic island isn't my idea of fun." ~ Cully

"Yes, that's what we all need. A nice, peaceful holiday." ~ The Second Doctor

"Well, it's a sort of laser gun. You know what that'll do. It'll burn a hole through anything. Metal, concrete, wood, anything! It may look old, but, well, you never know. It just might go off. Now please, just leave things as they were. Where was it?" ~ The Second Doctor

"Not from this world? Really, that's very interesting. I must note that in my daily report." ~ Balan

"We are taught to accept facts, being foolish to contemplate fantasy in the face of reality. You are here. This is fact. That you come from another planet I accept because I have no other means of proving it." ~ Kando

"I reproved you at the time of your precipitate act of self-gratification in destroying those three creatures. It will now be necessary to find other specimens. They will have to be investigated." ~ Rago

Cully: Idiots. Blind idiots they are. Still, at least your Doctor friend showed some interest.
Zoe: Yes, he has an enquiring mind.

"Next task? Shall we destroy? Shall we destroy?" ~ Quark

"We don't all have your childish curiosity, Cully." ~ Balan

"Oh, everyone wants me to shut up. All right, I will." ~ Jaime

The 2nd Doctor: I don't know. I thought I heard them mention the word intelligence.
Jamie: Oh, you mean they're going to find out how clever we are?
The 2nd Doctor: Yes. Or how stupid. I wonder which is the more important to them?

"But it's not. I told you when we spoke on the vision link. Three people have been killed, a spacecraft has landed, radioactivity has disappeared, and there are robots on that island. Now I may have a pretty inventive mind, but I wouldn't have dreamt up that lot, now would I?" ~ Cully

"An unintelligent enemy is far less dangerous than an intelligent one, Jamie." ~ The Second Doctor

The 2nd Doctor: Just act stupid. Do you think you can manage that?
Jamie: Oh aye, it's easy.

"Are you such a fool? You have intelligent eyes. I will continue the test personally. Bring!" ~ Rago

"Well it has happened, therefore it is a fact. We now know that the effects of an atomic explosion lasts for a hundred and seventy two years.  Oh, I dare say our atomic experts could provide a reason, but it seems pointless to spend time searching for reasons to prove facts. A fact is a truth." ~ Balan

"We have nothing to fear from such creatures. It would be a waste of energy to destroy them. Leave them! Stay away from us and the Quarks." ~ Rago

"You wanted to destroy. Unnecessary destruction is wasteful." ~ Rago

"Oh you're mad, the lot of you." ~ Jamie

Balan: Young lady, I cannot allow you to incite my pupils. Resistance will only lead to violence.
Zoe: And submission leads to slavery. We must fight.

"No. Balan is right. Violence is always met with violence." ~ Kando

Jamie: Hey, can you land the thing?
Doctor: Of course I can. I'll get us down in no time at all.
Jamie: Aye, but in one piece?

"And where would he have gone? We are on an island, Toba. These creatures cannot escape. Now listen to me carefully, and this time you will obey my instructions. Send these creatures back to the central bore position. I want it cleared ready for drilling." ~ Rago

"Protect? These creatures are harmless primitives. You acted out of your desire to gratify a need for pointless destruction." ~ Rago

"There wasn't a laser gun where I come from, yet us McCrimmons still dealt with the Redcoats right enough." ~ Jamie

"Take this, you wee tin kettle!" ~ Jamie

"I warn you, a Dominator must be obeyed. Your leader is nothing to me. I respect only one thing. Superior force. You will obey my command." ~ Rago

"Time? You have jeopardised this most vital part of the Dominator's war mission. You will remain on this planet and die with it." ~ Rago

"Toba. The primitives will not go unpunished. Fleet leader has just confirmed the Dulcians are unsuitable for slave labour. They will die with their planet." ~ Rago

Zoe: But that will create a volcano. And if they explode the atomic seed device in the middle of that...
The 2nd Doctor: Yes, that's right, Zoe. The whole planet will become one vast molten mass of radioactive material. The fuel store for their fleet.

"But Jamie, it's a brilliant idea! It's so simple only you could have thought of it." ~ The Second Doctor

"It's a little more than a screwdriver. Just watch this." ~ The Second Doctor

The 2nd Doctor: Oh, it's quite all right, Jamie. The planet is quite safe. There's just going to be a localised volcanic eruption. It'll only affect the island.
Jamie: Maybe so, but we happen to be on the island.
The 2nd Doctor: Oh, my word!

====================================
Trivia
====================================
Chris Jeffries doubles for Patrick Troughton in all location-shot scenes featuring the Doctor.

Patrick Troughton requested a showing of The Dominators at his birthday party shortly before his death in March 1987.

Arthur Cox (Cully) would later play Mr Henderson in The Eleventh Hour. As of 2012, he holds the record for the longest gap between appearances (42 years) in the history of Doctor Who. 

The Quark costumes were so small, the BBC had to hire school boys to operate them.

Gerrards Cross Quarry in Buckinghamshire and Olley Sand Pit in Kent provided the Dulkis landscape.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment