Friday, January 4, 2013

Classic Who - Season 21, Story 132 - Frontios

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Not hat people, are you? Either of you? Wear them much, I mean. I only do when I go out. It's silly to have this thing getting in everyone's way." ~ The Fifth Doctor

"Veruna is where one of the last surviving groups of mankind took shelter in the great er... Yes. Well, I suppose you've got all that to look forward to, haven't you." ~ The Fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor: What about the colony ship? Must have been brimming with gadgetry.
Range: Oh, systems that could rebuild a civilisation for us. Failure-proof technology.
The 5th Doctor: What happened to it all?
Range: It failed.

"I think your shelters are totally inadequate and your warning system does nothing but create panic. Your population has already fallen below critical value required for guaranteed growth and you're regularly losing new lives. I think, and you did ask what I think, I think your colony of Earth people is in grave danger of extinction." ~ The Fifth Doctor

" If I had a spare millennium I might bring you up to date on time mechanics. Unfortunately, we have this lighting problem and a ward full of people needing medical attention." ~ The Fifth Doctor

"I'm not helping, officially. And if anyone happens to ask whether I made any material difference to the wellfare of this planet, you can tell them I came and went like a summer cloud." ~ The Fifth Doctor

"The Tardis has been destroyed." ~ The Fifth Doctor

"Captain Revere never gave reasons. Except once. When I was very small, I was sitting on his knee in the state room, and I asked him why we couldn't go underground anymore. And he said. It was a child's answer, it seemed quite sensible at the time. He said the earth was hungry" ~ Norna

Plantagenet: You saved my life? Is this true?
The 5th Doctor: Not a word to the Time Lords.

"I've suspected for a long time that Captain Revere ordered the quarry closed because of something he found.  Something beneath the surface it might be dangerous to disturb." ~ Range

"The earth is hungry. It waits to eat.  I can see them. They are the appetite beneath the ground" ~ Turlough

"This is not a war, Plantagenet. It is a cooperation. You will see." ~ Gravis

"Oh, you think so? I got it cheap because the walk's not quite right. And then there's the accent, of course. But, when it's working well, it's very reliable. Keeping track of appointments, financial planning, word processing, that sort of thing." ~ The Fifth Doctor

Turlough: I know what they are.
Plantagenet: And I know what they're trying to do.
The 5th Doctor: Well, that sounds promising. Put the two things together, we may find a way of stopping them.

"Oh, yes, well, as I was saying, you can have Frontios, all the fixtures and fittings appertaining thereunto, and I'll pull my Tardis together and get off your patch." ~ The Fifth Doctor

"Besides, time and the time laws don't permit it. There's an etiquette about these things which we've rather overlooked, I'm afraid." ~ The Fifth Doctor

====================================
Trivia
====================================
It was originally intended that Tractator technology should incorporate human remains, but this was deemed too gruesome. This idea was taken up in the 2006 episode The Girl in the Fireplace.

Athough former script editor Christopher H. Bidmead was asked to submit another Tractator script, and he submitted two further scripts to Saward, Frontios was Bidmead's final contribution to Doctor Who.

For the first time, we see a solid reference to Turlough's home planet, which was attacked millennia ago by the Tractators.

The helmets of the Frontios security forces would be familiar to viewers of Blake's 7 as the helmets of Federation troops.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4


DVD available for purchase from Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment