Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Classic Who - Season 2, Story 14 - The Crusade

====================================
Quotes
====================================
The 1st Doctor: What is all this? Who is he? How did he attack you? Why did he attack you?
Ian: I don't know. I didn't stop to ask him.

The 1st Doctor: That Saracen very nearly did for me. Of course. Did you hear what that man called him? Saracen. Malek Ric! Yes, that was the name the Saracens had for King Richard, Coeur de Lion. Malek Ric.
Vicki: So we're in the Holy Land?

de Tornebu: The belt. Get the belt.
Vicki: This belt?
The 1st Doctor: This belt. Wait a minute. Of course, yes. I remember. This belongs to his royal master, King Richard. He'll certainly be glad to get this back again. We should be able to get into his favour. We shall need some assistance to help find Barbara.
Ian: We can't wait that long, Doctor. I'm going to have another look for her now.

Des Preaux: As for you, I can make no guess. But I am King Richard, Coeur de Lion, leader of the mighty host, scourge of the infidel.
Barbara: But I thought Richard had red hair.
Des Preaux: Had? Still has if the ruse has worked.

Barbara: Well, to them you're King Richard, so who would travel with Richard?
Des Preaux: The Queen would not, but the Princess Yes, you shall be Joanna, my sister, and help me in my lies.
Barbara: Very well. I seem to have gained a brother and a title.
Des Preaux: And what is more, a friend.
Barbara: I'm grateful for that.

"Having been stolen once, they can be stolen again, or perhaps borrowed, shall we say, hmm?" ~ The First Doctor

Saladin: Grace my table tonight in more suitable clothes. If your tales beguile me, you shall stay and entertain.
Barbara: Like Scheherazade.
Saladin: Over whose head hung sentence of death.

The 1st Doctor: Our young friend is a woman, sire. Have pity. Let us help her.
Vicki: Please, your Majesty.
Richard: Understand this. This woman can rot in one of Saladin's prisons until her hair turns white before I'll trade with the man that killed my friends!

The 1st Doctor: I think I know what he means, sire. Here Saladin, mighty ruler and commander of huge armies, believes he's captured you.
Vicki: You could turn this into a good story against Saladin.
de Tornebu: Look on the brighter side, my lord. A troop of men to capture one of your knights? Why, he'd need an army by itself and more to take your horse, or every man he has or more to take you prisoner.
The 1st Doctor: You could spread this tale by word of mouth and all the world would know that Saladin fears you.
Vicki: Sire, if you send to him and asked if he'd finished playing his game and could you have your knight back, it'll make him look such a fool.

Ian: Giving him back his belt didn't help us very much.
The 1st Doctor: I certainly didn't like the way the Chamberlain examined Vicki's clothes. And come to think of it, they were originally stolen from here.
Vicki: Shh!

The 1st Doctor: Never mind the mights, my dear, just concentrate on what you're doing. Here we are. Now I think just the sword and you're ready.
Ian: Ready for what??
The 1st Doctor: Oh, the King will tell you that. Do you know, my boy, I have an idea that King Richard still wants to send you to see Saladin after all.

Richard: Do you wonder why I listen to your appeal?
The 1st Doctor: It is a king's prerogative to make yesterday's deafness today's keen hearing.
Richard: No more than that. Although we do not doubt that we are surrounded by loyal men, yet we fear that war is uppermost in their minds. Between ourselves, we plan a match between Joanna and Saphadin to bring peace. This is why we choose to send you rather than those who are closer to us. Bring back Sir William and your companion, but bring us hope as well. This blood-letting must stop!

The 1st Doctor: I almost wish I'd been knighted too.
Vicki: That'll be the day.

The 1st Doctor: Now, just a minute! Oh, my dear Chamberlain, so undignified. The merchant bought the clothes in good faith and paid for them in good money. Now please return his money.
Chamberlain: But I have to catch the thief.
The 1st Doctor: Now, now, now. You mustn't let an honest man suffer. Pay him!

Vicki: Anyway, why have I got to go on pretending to be a boy? Why can't I be a girl again?
The 1st Doctor: I'm sorry, my dear, but you known how we're placed here. It's, it's a, hmm?
Joanna: Why have you deceived us?
The 1st Doctor: Oh, forgive me, your highness. This is my young ward. Having found ourselves in a hostile country I decided to use this disguise.

Joanna: I am my brother's favourite, yet now I find I am excluded from his confidence. I sense he's made a plan of which I am a part.
The 1st Doctor: May I ask, why, of all people here, you've come to me, hmm?
Joanna: There's something new in you, yet something older than the sky itself. I sense that I can trust you.

Chamberlain: I don't understand!
Vicki: It's perfectly simple. I'm a girl.
Chamberlain: A girl? Dressed as a boy? Is nothing understandable these days?

The 1st Doctor: I admire bravery and loyalty, sir. You have both of these. But, unfortunately you haven't any brain at all. I hate fools.
Leicester: A fool can match a coward any day.

Richard: Who gave away my plan?
The 1st Doctor: Your Majesty, if you believe that I
Richard: You are not welcome in our sight.

Barbara: I'm not afraid of you.
El Akir: No? Yet you run away. Is that not fear?
Barbara: Fear has nothing to do with contempt. Or disgust.

The 1st Doctor: May I ask you something, sire? If you knew it was the Earl of Leicester that gave your marriage plans away to your sister, why didn't you accuse him, have it out with him then and there?
Vicki: You just let it go by without saying a word. It wasn't fair. I'm sorry, your Majesty.
Richard: We accept the impeachment. We are unjust to you to serve the greater good. You see, my Lord of Leicester is a hardy fighter, and a fight is near us now. When we meet the Saracen again, we shall need him at our elbow. But do not be discouraged. You have our favour.

Richard: Win the battle, lose the war. The greatest fear we have. We've come so close. I must see Jerusalem. I must.
The 1st Doctor: You will, sire.
Richard: You think so?
The 1st Doctor: I am certain, sire. And when you look upon the city itself, you will be able to find the answer to the problem of this war.

"Any more cracks about knighthood, and I'll carry out that execution." ~ Ian

"Well, my dear boy, I must say I think you've earned a good knight's sleep." ~ The First Doctor

====================================
Trivia
====================================
"The Crusade" is notable for for its non-stereotypical treatment of the two opposing leaders. Saladin (played by Bernard Kay) is portrayed as calculating but compassionate, while King Richard I is portrayed as volatile and at times childish.

The story takes place in Palestine in 1190 and working titles included "The Lionheart" and "The Saracen Hordes".

It was during production of "The Crusade" that Verity Lambert decided to leave the series.

William Hartnell disapproved of some dialogue implying an incestuous relationship between Richard and Joanna. The offending material was removed.

Ian only appears in the pre-filmed fight scene in part 3 - "Wheel of Fortune", in order to give William Russell a holiday during production.  Also, Russell was loath to let ants crawl up his arm, so production assistant Viktors Ritelis doubled for him.

Only episodes 1 and 3 of "The Crusade" are currently in the BBC Archive, the others remain lost. Episode one, The Lion, was missing from the archives until 1999. A 16mm film print of the episode was bought by a collector at a film fair in New Zealand in 1998 and the next year it was returned to the BBC for them to make a Digital Betacam copy for subsequent release on video and DVD. The original film print remained the property of the collector who bought it.

Episodes 2 & 4 exist in audio format only, although Loose Cannon Productions have created a quality reconstruction of these episodes.

Although director Douglas Camfield would go on to become the most prolific director of the 1963 series of Doctor Who episodes and Dudley Simpson would go on to become the most prolific composer for the series, this serial was actually the last time they worked together on a Doctor Who story. In future, Camfield preferred to use other composers or stock music.

Nicholas Courtney auditioned for the role of Richard the Lionheart. Camfield did not give him the part, but remembered him when he cast him as Brett Vyon in The Dalek's Masterplan and as The Brigadier.

Julian Glover ended up with the role of Richard.  He also appeared in City of Death with the 4th Doctor, and has intimated that he would have loved to played the Doctor as well.  Outside of Doctor Who, he is probably best known for playing a number of villians, including General Maximilian Veers in Star Wars and Walter Donovan, the main villain in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He also played the villain Kristatos in the 1981 James Bond film For Your Eyes Only and was the voice of Aragog in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Most recently, he has been seen as Grand Maester Pycelle in HBO's Game of Thrones.

====================================
Links
====================================
Part 1: The Cruisade
Part 2: The Knight of Jaffa
Part 3: The Wheel of Fortune
Part 4: The Warlords



Doctor Who - Lost in Time Collection of Rare Episodes - The William Hartnell Years 1963-1966 DVD is available at Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment