Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Classic Who - Season 2, Story 11 - The Rescue

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Look, Vicki. I know how badly you want to get off this planet. We both want to get away but its no good building up our hopes. Go and radio the rescue ship. You’ll find your mistake… And Vicki, watch out for Koquillion." ~ Bennett

"Sixty nine hours away? Who’s landed on the mountain?" ~ Vicki

Barbara: Oh, but Doctor, the trembling’s stopped.
The 1st Doctor: Oh, my dear, I’m so glad you’re feeling better.
Barbara: No, not me, the ship.

"Oh, have a look round, I should, but don’t go too far away. Remember we haven’t had much luck with these caves during our travels.  I think I’m going to have a nap." ~ The First Doctor

Ian: [to Barbara] Yes, well, he isn’t getting any younger is he. You know, it’s the first time he’s been to sleep during a landing. Barbara, I’ve got an idea he’s getting a bit (hand gesture for senile)
The 1st Doctor: Remember I can hear what you’re saying.

Ian: Barbara, look!
Barbara: It’s a spaceship.
Ian: Yes… broken in two.
Barbara: Can you see on the side? A flag! It’s from home!

"Oh, my writing gets worse and worse. Dear, dear, dear, dear, dear. Well, undoubtedly we’ve landed on the planet Dido. How remarkable. Well, I must say. it’ll be rather nice to meet these friendly people again after all these years. Fancy landing back here again. I wonder if I were to tell Ian that it was deliberate, whether he’d believe me or not? Oh no, of course, I was asleep. Oh, pity, pity, pity." ~ The First Doctor

Ian: Thank you. Doctor. The most thorough-going medical I’ve ever had.
The 1st Doctor: Yes, it’s a pity I didn’t get that degree, isn’t it?

Ian: You say these people were friendly?
The 1st Doctor: Really. Very friendly people.
Ian: If that’s a sample, I’ll take the Daleks anytime.

Vicki: He just keeps us here, Bennett and me. There’s a rescue ship on the way. He doesn’t know about that. But he’ll find out. I know he will.
Barbara: But why does he keep you here?
Vicki: They, they killed all the crew. We, when we landed, we made contact here. Everyone on board was invited to a grand sort of meeting. I couldn’t go, I was ill, a fever or something. I stayed here that night. I remember waking up. A thunderstorm, I thought, but it was an explosion. Bennett. Bennett dragged himself back. I was ill for days, I didn’t know about it til later. I came around and…found Bennett. He can’t walk. We just wait, and then Koquillion...

"Oh, I can’t understand it. I just can’t understand it. Violence is totally alien to people on this planet." ~ The First Doctor

Ian: Well, you ready to carry on?
The 1st Doctor: Me? Carry on? My dear fellow, it was you that stopped.

Ian: What was that?
The 1st Doctor: Well, it’s not me, is it. Shine the torch down there!
[The torch reveals another one of Koquillion's race, but with no legs]
The 1st Doctor: What…
Ian: What’s that nightmare?

Ian: The executioner sounds disappointed.
The 1st Doctor: Yes, never mind about all that. Come on, give me a hand. Barbara’s still outside. She might be in grave danger.

Vicki: You killed Sandy. Why? What made you?
Barbara: He was almost on top of you!
Vicki: How could you do it? Sandy only wanted some food.

"Yes, you’re right. I’ve been here a long time. I know what it’s like here. You’ve only just come and you’re trying to ruin things. It was all right before. It was. The rescue ship's coming and nobody asked you to come here. Nobody." ~ Vicki

Vicki: Well, you haven’t got the sort of face that kills things
The 1st Doctor: And Barbara has, I suppose. Ay? You know she was frightened, frightened for your safety. She thought you were going to be hurt. Good gracious me, you mustn’t behave like that. Now, look here, I think the best thing for you to do is to pop along back there, don’t you, hmm? Eh? You must believe what Barbara did, try and understand my dear, and why she did it. Just for me, eh?

Ian: Well, you see Vicki, our space ship, well, isn’t like this one. It travels through time.
Barbara: We left in 1963.
Vicki: 1963! But that means you’re about five hundred and fifty years old.
Barbara: Why, yes, I suppose I am. Yes, it’s a way of looking at it, but I’ll try not to look at it too often.
Vicki: They didn’t have time machines in 1963, they didn’t know anything then.

"Oh yes, I like the Doctor. Its funny, but as soon as he walked in, I felt that you could trust him. But why does he wear those funny clothes? And that long white hair." ~ Vicki

"You destroyed a whole planet to save your own skin. You’re insane." ~ The First Doctor

The 1st Doctor: We can travel anywhere and everywhere in that old box as you call it. Regardless of space and time.
Vicki: Then it is a time machine?
The 1st Doctor: And if you like adventure, my dear, I can promise you an abundance of it. Apart from all that, well you’ll be amongst friends. Hmm? Well? Now, suppose I leave you here for a moment to think about it, hmm?

"But its huge! And, well, the outside is just, well..." ~ Vicki

====================================
Trivia
====================================
All episodes exist in 16mm telerecordings. Negative film prints of both episodes exist and were recovered by the BBC in 1978.

Ian Chesterton is seen wearing a wide tie with a triangle bottom, this marks the first time he doesn't wear his trade mark skinny tie with a square bottom.

The Rescue marked the first appearance of Maureen O'Brien as Vicki.  It was also O'Brien's acting debute. The producers wanted O'Brien to dye her hair black to make her resemble Susan more. Maureen refused, and instead suggested the alternative of getting Carole Ann Ford back.  Ford did stop by the set during production, to offer encouragement to her successor.

Originally, Vicki had the more futuristic-sounding name Tanni. Before settling on Vicki, the production team thought of several other possible names, including Valerie, Millie, and Lukki. Earlier drafts of The Rescue bore the working title Doctor Who and Tanni.

"The Powerful Enemy" boasts the first occasion on which a sound effect is laid over footage of the TARDIS re-materialising. Before this, exterior shots of the TARDIS landing had implied that the ship appeared soundlessly in a new environment. Although the precise sound of "re-materialisation" — with its distinctive, final "thud" — would not be finalised until The Three Doctors, this was the start of an important convention of the TARDIS. People on the outside can hear it coming and going.

====================================
Links
====================================
Part 1: The Powerful Enemy
Part 2: Desperate Measures



Doctor Who: The Rescue / The Romans (Stories 11 & 12) DVD is available at Amazon.com
or watch via streaming on Hulu Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment