Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Classic Who - Season 14, Story 87 - The Hand of Fear

====================================
Quotes
====================================
Sarah: Oh. Listen, I don't want to make any snap decisions, but this isn't South Croydon.
The 4th Doctor: What? I can't hear you for the siren.
Sarah: This isn't South Croydon!
The 4th Doctor: All right, there's no need to shout.

Sarah: Come on, where are we?
The 4th Doctor: We're in a quarry.
Sarah: Yes, I know we're in a quarry, but where?
The 4th Doctor: Well, how do I know? I don't know all the quarries that...

(Cromhall Quarry, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire)

Intern: Tell me, where did you qualify, if I may ask?
The 4th Doctor: A place called Gallifrey.
Intern: Gallifrey? No, I've not heard of it. Perhaps it's in Ireland.
The 4th Doctor: Probably. Look, could I see Miss Smith, please?

The 4th Doctor: Yes. I admit it's a fairly remote possibility. Viruses can survive, though not for a hundred and fifty million years as far as we know. Now this thing was found embedded in a stratum of blackstone dolomite.
Carter: What?
The 4th Doctor: Jurassic limestone.
Carter: You mean it's been there for a hundred and fifty million years?

The 4th Doctor: Carter, you haven't seen Miss Smith, have you?
Carter: Yes, I have!
The 4th Doctor: Good. Where?
Carter: Tell me, does she normally go around knocking people out?

"I think your sample's been quietly absorbing radiation from the machine.  Regenerating itself. Let's hope it hasn't absorbed enough to be dangerous." ~ The Fourth Doctor

Carter: We're from the hospital. The girl, you see, she escaped.
Watson: So she is a lunatic.
The 4th Doctor: Oh, no, I wouldn't say that. She's certainly not...
Watson: She's mad. She's stark, staring, raving mad.

Sarah [OC]: It's no use.
The 4th Doctor: Sarah, listen to me.
Sarah: [Fission Room] No, there's nothing more to say because Eldrad must live.

The 4th Doctor: Look, the plans to your cooling duct.
Jackson: But the temperature inside the cooling duct is over two hundred degrees centigrade.
Watson: You'll roast, man.
The 4th Doctor: Not if I'm quick.

The 4th Doctor: Just a minute, Professor, she doesn't remember a thing about
Watson: Oh, very convenient, I must say.
The 4th Doctor: It's much more complicated than it seems.
Watson: Complicated? She nearly caused a major nuclear disaster!

The 4th Doctor: Look, I'll start at the beginning.
Sarah: Good.
The 4th Doctor: We found a hand in the quarry. Or rather, she found a hand in the quarry.

"Nothing happened. A sort of un-explosion has taken place." ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: Might as well put these back.
[The Doctor bolts the door.]
Sarah: Yeah, well, that's not going to stop him.
The 4th Doctor: No, but I like to be tidy.

"Fascinating. This is intensely interesting, don't you...Come on, let's get out of here." ~ The Fourth Doctor

Sarah: I worry about you. Look, anyway, who found that thing?
The 4th Doctor: You did.
(They walk on.)
Sarah: Right. So, I'm involved. It could have been me, not Driscoll, and besides, I'm from Earth and you're not.
The 4th Doctor: That's true.

Eldrad: Why should they attack me with their primitive devices?
The 4th Doctor: Oh, because they're stubborn and violent and sometimes they try to destroy things they don't understand.

Eldrad: As a Time Lord, you are pledged to uphold the Laws of Time and to prevent alien aggression.
The 4th Doctor: Only when such aggression is deemed to threaten the indigenous population. I think that's how it goes.

"That would contravene the First Law of Time, a distortion of history. I can't do that." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Your weapon's won't work in here. We're in a state of temporal grace. We're multi-dimensional. Well, in a sense, you see, we don't exist while we're in here. So you can't hurt us, and we can't hurt you." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Oh, don't be so abject. All we want is your cooperation. If you've missed those coordinates, symbolic resonance will occur in the trackoid time crystal, and if that happens, there'll be no chance of us landing anywhere, ever, ever, ever." ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: Eldrad, what was in this tube?
Eldrad: An acid designed to neutralise the molecular bond. It is now only a matter of time.
The 4th Doctor: Is there an antidote?
Eldrad: Oh no, Doctor. I developed the acid. There is no antidote.

The 4th Doctor: Come on, Sarah. Stop making a fuss, Sarah. You're from South Croydon.
Sarah: Eh?
The 4th Doctor: You're a carbon-based lifeform. The gas is only effective against silicon structures.
Sarah: Oh.

Sarah: Yes. If they're dead, you'd think we'd have seen some bodies by now.
The 4th Doctor: We have.
Sarah: Eh?
The 4th Doctor: Well, if you're made of stone, you crumble to sand. We're walking on them.
Sarah: Ew.

Sarah: We killed her.
The 4th Doctor: Yes, Sarah. We've been used. They were determined to get Eldrad one way or another.
Sarah: Oh, I'm so confused. Oh, what do we do now?

"I wanted Kastrians to be masters of the galaxy. And now, with me at their head, nothing shall stop us! Every planet within range of our starships shall fall to the power of Eldrad. And now, Doctor, I have an audience with my king. King? Bwahahaha!" ~ Eldrad

Eldrad: Nevertheless, I am still King. Nothing can stop me. My ambition is invincible.
The 4th Doctor: Where are your subjects, Majesty?
Eldrad: Subjects? Stored in the race bank. There's a whole new race of Kastrians, Doctor. A hundred million crystal particles waiting to be placed in the regenerator. And they shall have me as their ruler! They will rebuild the barriers. They will restore the cities. They will replenish the exhausted lands. We will build a new Kastria, and together we shall go forth and conquer the universe!

"I wouldn't want to live down here, and I wouldn't want him as a leader." ~ Sarah Jane Smith

"Well, the gravity of the law finally caught up with him." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Oh, I must be mad. I'm sick of being cold and wet, and hypnotised left right and centre. I'm sick of being shot at, savaged by bug-eyed monsters, never knowing if I'm coming or going or been. Oh, I want a bath. I want my hair washed. I just want to feel human again. Oh, and boy am I sick of that sonic screwdriver! I'm going to pack my goodies and I'm going home. I said, I'm going to pack my goodies and I am going home! Right! Excuse me!" ~ Sarah Jane Smith

====================================
Trivia
====================================
"The Hand of Fear" is notable for being the last story that Sarah Jane Smith appeared in as a regular companion.  It replaced a four-part story called "The Lost Legion" written by Douglas Camfield and set in a French Foreign Legion outpost which involved a campaign between the alien Skarkel and Khoorians. Sarah was to die at the end of the story, with The Doctor burning her body on funeral pyre. However, Elisabeth Sladen didn't want Sarah to be killed or married off, nor did she want her departure to be the focus of the story, as she felt the program was about the Doctor, not the companion. Camfield fell behind in his writing, and "Hand of Fear" which had been in rewrites since season 13, was finally used instead.

Script writers Bob Baker and Dave Martin intentionally did not write Sarah's departure scene. The script for that scene was rewritten by Sladen and Tom Baker from Robert Holmes's original version.

This would also be the final contribution of director Lennie Mayne.  After finishing production on "The Hand of Fear" and an episode of "Softly, Softly: Taskforce", he was drowned after a wave swept him overboard in the English Channel.

"The Hand of Fear" was originally commissioned as a six part story for season 13. It was inspired by the 1946 film The Beast with Five Fingers. The story, which took place in the 1990's inloved two factions of the same race working against humanity and also inloved UNIT.  One version of the script saw the hand as an advance guard preparing the way for an alien army.  In any case, script editor Robert Holmes took issue with its complexity and commissioned another script to be the final story of Season 13. "The Seeds of Doom" was produced in its place.

Of note however, was the intention of script writers Bob Baker and Dave Martin to introduce a new supporting character, in the form of a Time Lord named Drax. An untrustworthy Gallifreyan mechanic who wants to steal the TARDIS, Drax was conceived as a possible recurring character for Doctor Who.  Drax would eventually make it to the screen, in Season 16's "The Armageddon Factor".

In the final scene, Sarah Jane whistles the tune, "Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me a Bow-Wow". Since Elisabeth Sladen is unable to whistle, director Lennie Mayne provided the whistling while she mimed to it.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4



Doctor Who: The Hand of Fear (Story 87) DVD is available at Amazon.com,
or download from iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment