Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Classic Who - Season 13, Story 84 - The Brain of Morbius

(Morbius is trying to get a head, and he fancies the Doctor's....)

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"The Time Lords, who else? Now, you see? You see? They haven't even got the common decency to come out and show their ears. It's intolerable. I won't stand for any more of it. What? Do you think I don't know the difference between an internal fault and an external influence? Oh, no, no, no. There's something going on here, some dirty work they won't touch with their lily white hands. Well, I won't do it, do you hear!" ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: I was born in these parts.
Sarah Jane: Near here?
The 4th Doctor: Well, within a couple of billion miles, yes.

"Maren, what can we do? Alone among all the races in our galaxy, the Time Lords are our equals in mind power." ~ Ohica

"Please, just call me Doctor. I hate all this bowing and scraping." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"What, you mean you still practice teleportation? How quaint." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"But I'm only seven hundred and forty nine. Life doesn't begin until seven hundred and..." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"This could be a grave mistake, Maren. If those gases are sealed in, this entire mountain could explode. Remember Cotopaxi? Mount Vesuvius? What about Pompeii? Surely you remember Popocatepetl?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

"I know that. But I tell you, Maren. Just for a second, before I passed out, his mind touched mine. I felt his burning hatred and anguish. Morbius is alive." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Nevertheless nothing. For years, the Time Lords have extended their friendship towards the Sisters. When Morbius and his rebels overran this planet, who was it saved you?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Shush. If you're going to sit there wallowing in self-pity, I'll bite your nose." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Solon, I think of nothing else! Trapped like this, like a sponge beneath the sea. Yet even a sponge has more life than I. Can you understand a thousandth of my agony? I, Morbius, who once led the High Council of the Time Lords and dreamed the greatest dreams in history, now reduced to this, to a condition where I envy a vegetable." ~ Morbius

"We're not going through all that again. If I wanted to steal from you, would I come in through the front door?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Your arrogance is limitless, Doctor. I've only to raise my finger for you to be put to death." ~ Maren

"Death is the price we pay for progress, you know." ~ The Fourth Doctor

Maren: The Time Lords were glad enough of the Elixir.
The 4th Doctor: Only in rare cases. When, for instance, there's some difficulty in regenerating a body. We don't take it regularly like you, otherwise we'd fall into the same trap.
Maren: And what trap are we in?
The 4th Doctor: Immortality.

"You must have been old when the Elixir was discovered. How many centuries have passed while you have remained unchanged. How long since anything here changed?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: Hello, Sarah. Nice to be seen again.
Sarah Jane: Oh, Doctor.
The 4th Doctor: You thought I was dead, didn't you? You're always making that mistake.

"Solon, this thing you've made is an unspeakable abomination." ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: Five minutes, Solon. You've got five minutes.
Solon: Doctor, I've spent my lifetime
The 4th Doctor: You've spent your whole life resurrecting evil. Now, either you disconnect the brain or I'll do it my way.

The 4th Doctor: You really can't go on calling yourself Morbius. There's very little of Morbius left. Why don't you think of another name? Potpourri would be appropriate.
Sarah: How about Chop Suey?
Morbius: What!
The 4th Doctor: Chop Suey, the galactic emperor.

"The Time Lord dies. Only the Elixir of Life can save him." ~ Maren

====================================
Trivia
====================================
At the end of Part Four, the TARDIS dematerializes instantaneously with a flash and a puff of smoke, rather than fading away gradually. The dematerialization sound is played at a higher speed than usual.

Many of the faces in the mental battle between the Doctor and Morbius are members of the production team who worked on this story. In order of appearance, they are Christopher Baker, Robert Holmes, Graeme Harper, Douglas Camfield, Philip Hinchcliffe, Robert Banks Stewart, George Gallaccio and Christopher Barry.

The script was written, originally, by Terrance Dicks, but included a robot which they producer didn't feel could be actualized convincingly on screen.  Robert Holmes did an extensive rewrite.  Dicks felt that the script wasn't "his" anymore and asked that his name be taken off, so it went on to be credited to "Robin Bland" after Dicks, in his memo to Holmes said "just put some bland name on it."

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment