Sunday, January 6, 2013

Classic Who - Season 1, Story 7 - The Sensorites

====================================
Quotes
====================================
The 1st Doctor: Yes, and that extraordinary quarrel I had with that English king, Henry the Eighth. You know, he threw a parson's nose at me.
Barbara: What did you do?
The 1st Doctor: Threw it back, of course. Take them to the Tower, he said. That's why I did it.
Barbara: Why?
Susan: The Tardis was inside the Tower.

"I never make uninformed guesses, my friend, but certainly that's one answer. Oh, dear, dear, dear, what a tragedy you know. She's only a few years older than Susan." ~ The First Doctor

"It's a heart resuscitator. When you found us, we were in a very long sleep, but we weren't dead. My name is Maitland. This is Carol Richmond, my co-astronaut." ~ Captain Maitland

"No! No Barbara!  I learned not to meddle in other people's affairs years ago.  Now, now, now don't be absurd.  There isn't an ounce of curiosity in me, my dear boy. Now tell me, why are you in danger? " ~ The First Doctor

Susan: It's not so much the lock, it's the opening mechanism. The door's permanently locked!
Ian: Permanently? But there must be some way of getting in? What can we do, Doctor? Break down the door?
The 1st Doctor: And disturb the field dimensions inside the Tardis? We dare not. We've been most effectively shut out.

"My dear Chesterton. It's our minds that they take over, so we must presume that the brain is all important. Now let our own intelligence be our own defense, and attack."

"Somebody's talking to him. Inside his mind.  Somebody's ordering him to do something, I know they are. Something to harm us." ~ Susan

"I had hundreds of voices in my mind, Grandfather." ~ Susan

"I don't make threats. But I do keep promises. And I promise you I shall cause you more trouble than you bargained for if you don't return my property!" ~ The First Doctor

"Do you think I don't understand? Trust is a two-sided affair." ~ The First Doctor

"Dictated to by petty thieves and my own grandchild!" ~ The First Doctor

"Yes, and it's a good thing you can't read the anger in mine. In all the years my granddaughter and I have been travelling, we have never had an argument. And now you have caused one." ~ The First Doctor

"Grandfather and I don't come from Earth. Oh, it's ages since we've seen our planet. It's quite like Earth, but at night the sky is a burned orange, and the leaves on the trees are bright silver." ~ Susan

====================================
Trivia
====================================
This serial is the first depiction of the TARDIS materializing aboard a space ship or a vessel of any kind.

Designer Raymond Cusick used almost all curves — eliminating right and straight angles — in his designs for the sets of the Sensorites' City, feeling that this would give a more alien look. Cusick drew inspiration from the Spanish artist Antoni Gaudi (b. 25 June 1852, d. 10 June 1926), who rarely used right angles in his work.

Russell T Davies has acknowledged the Sensorites as an influence on the basic concept of the Ood in The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit. Computer readouts (and a mention by Davies in an episode commentary) revealed that the Ood sphere and Sense Sphere are part of the same star system.

For decades, Doctor Who fandom was unable to discover much about the story's writer, Peter R. Newman. It was not until production of supplementary features for the 2012 DVD release that facts such as his exact dates of birth and death and his general biography became known.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1: Strangers in Space
Part 2: The Unwilling Warriors
Part 3: Hidden Danger
Part 4: A Race Against Death
Part 5: Kidnap
Part 6: A Desperate Venture
Playlist



No comments:

Post a Comment