Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Classic Who - Season 17, Story 104 - Destiny of the Daleks

====================================
Quotes
====================================
"Ah! Ah, laryngitis. How can a robot catch laryngitis? I mean, what do you need it for, hmm? Romana! Laryngitis? Romana, the dog's got laryngitis." ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: But you can't go round wearing copies of bodies.
Romana: Why not? We're not going back to Atrios, are we?

"It's what's on the inside that matters. That's what's important, isn't it, K9? Do you agree with me, K9?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Oh look, rocks!" ~ The Fourth Doctor

"What? The living dead? You mean a planet ruled by zombies? I want to know who lives on this planet. With one basic difference, the living are very much like the dead. Who was it said the living are just the dead on holiday? Never mind. You should meet one. You can always tell a genuine zombie.  Skin is cold to the touch." ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: Recognise the type?
Romana: Not specifically. Judging by design and size I'd say it had intergalactic range and time warp capability. Origin almost certainly star system 4X alpha 4.
The 4th Doctor: Well, without reference to my Jane's Spacecraft of the Universe, I wouldn't dispute that.

"Origins of the Universe. Ha, ha. He got it wrong on the first line! Tut. Why didn't he ask someone who saw it happen?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

Cmdr. Sharrel: You know the Daleks?
The 4th Doctor: Oh, better than you could possibly imagine.

"She seemed afraid. She backed away and fell down a shaft. She was alive. But the Daleks got her. I went to help her. They took her away." ~ Tyssan

"The connection? This is where they were created thousands of years ago. They ravaged the place and left it for dead, as you can see." ~ The Fourth Doctor

Cmdr. Sharrel: Yes, but what is it?
The 4th Doctor: I have an uneasy feeling I know.

"If you're supposed to be the superior race of the universe, why don't you try climbing after us? Bye, bye." ~ The Fourth Doctor

Romana: Well, the only way to escape the Daleks was to feign death. It's lucky they didn't know I was a Gallifreyan.
The 4th Doctor: Good girl.
Tyssan: Gallifreyan?
Romana: Yes, they taught me at school how to stop my hearts.
Tyssan: Hearts? How many have you got?
Romana: One for casual, one for best.

"So, the long darkness has ended and the eternity of waiting is over. The resurrection has come, as I always knew it would. Now, where are my Daleks?" ~ Davros

"Yes, well, I can see your long rest hasn't done anything to cure your megalomania. Have a jelly baby." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Shut up or I'll switch you off." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"That wouldn't keep out a determined mouse." ~ Romana

Davros: Do you believe your puny efforts can change the course of destiny?
The 4th Doctor: Well, let's just say I might tamper with it.

"The Daleks left you for dead centuries ago. You've given them all you've got. What do they want you for now, eh? What's so special about the Movellans that they need your help again, eh?" ~ The Fourth Doctor

The 4th Doctor: I'm more interested in your survival. I saw you destroyed. The Daleks blasted you at point-blank range.
Davros: Ha! There was damage to my primary life support system. The secondary and back-up circuits switch in immediately. Synthetic tissue regeneration took place whilst bodily organs were held in long-term suspension.
The 4th Doctor: Blimey, wasn't that outstaying your welcome in rather a big way?

"Now, I'll need one minute to get clear. Get back! I told you this was life insurance. I've adapted the device to explode by remote control. All I have to do is squeeze my sonic screwdriver and boom, boom, Davros." ~ The Fourth Doctor

Romana: Oh yes, the Doctor knows more about the Daleks than anyone.
Cmdr. Sharrel: He is an expert in robotics?
Romana: An absolute genius.

"Just as I thought. Just another race of robots, no better than the Daleks." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Six hours? Too long. Every moment we remain on Skaro we are vulnerable to attack. All operational Daleks to remain on maximum alert until I am aboard the cruiser and safely in space. Maximum alert.  My safety is to be your primary concern. You will make any sacrifice that is required to protect me." ~ Davros

"Supreme Dalek. Pah. That is a title I shall dispute most vigorously. I created the Daleks. It is I who will guide their destiny. I am the Supreme Commander!" ~ Davros

Cmdr. Sharrel: We function logically.
The 4th Doctor: My condolences to you.

"Ha! You see? You're caught in an impasse of logic. You've discovered the recipe for everlasting peace. Congratulations. I'm terribly pleased." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Suppose I was willing to help you to change the balance of power, which I'm not, Davros will be doing exactly the same things for the Daleks. I mean, he may be mad, but his computer skills are almost as great as mine." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"Oh well, so much for logic. A mind that can be scrambled by a dog whistle." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"I'm a very dangerous fellow when I don't know what I'm doing." ~ The Fourth Doctor

"A high security ship has started out from Earth to meet us. You will be taken to stand trial for your crimes against the whole of sentient creation." ~ Tyssan

The 4th Doctor: Make mistakes and confuse the enemy.
Romana: Is that why you always win?
The 4th Doctor: Yes. What?
Romana: Because you always make mistakes.
The 4th Doctor: Mistakes? Me?

====================================
Trivia
====================================
This was Terry Nation's final script credit on Doctor Who. However, director Ken Grieve claimed that the script was in fact "98% written by" script editor Douglas Adams. (BBC DVD: Destiny of the Daleks). These remarks seem consistent with comments by Adams quoted in Don't Panic by Neil Gaiman (published within the lives of both Adams and Nation). Adams states therein that he had discovered that other writers on Doctor Who considered it the role of the script editor to get the scripts into the correct broadcast order.

The Doctor reads Origins of the Universe by Oolon Caluphid and says, "He got it wrong on the first line! Why didn't he ask someone who saw it happen?". Colluphid is a character from Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

This time around, Skaro is portrayed by Winspit Quarry, in Dorset.

====================================
Links (Watch on DailyMotion.com)
====================================
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4



No comments:

Post a Comment